CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Driving, Dirt and Dust.

We are still alive, people. After 2 days of pulling truck-loads and trailers full of stuff we arrived at our destination (the small town where my brother's sis & her fam will live). We spent all day Tuesday unpacking and helping them get set up and then awoke to our alarm clock at 4am yesterday morning to make the trip back in one day! Are we crazy? Yes, but at this point the craziness isn't self-inflicted...J had to be back to take care of business on the base which is now completely empty except for us and Kim's hubby (he does have a name but since I've mentioned Kim in previous posts we'll just keep him as her hubby for now). As tiring as it is to make another short trip it was well worth it to spend as much time with family as possible and also get to see where they will be living! Once we've moved it will be a 3 day's drive to see them so visits will be few and far between, unfortunately.

Traveling in this country is quite different compared to traveling in the States. It definitely isn't as comfortable as it is in the States, floating on the smooth highways, etc. But on a positive note it is a lot more interesting here! Instead of seeing endless bulletin boards advertising fast-food, etc, we get to see nature firsthand and get to experience different kinds of roads (doesn't that sound optimistic? I think it does and I'm rather proud of how cheerful I can make those "different" kinds of roads sound! If you really want to understand what in the world I'm talking about you'll have to come down, visit us and travel around a bit! Just don't come before August:-)

Ok, here's our trip in pictures...

Sunday morning, about to hit the road. Notice the big smiles that take place before the 2 days of driving?

Here are some of the interesting things we get to see while on the road in the Land of Sunny Days...

Brush fires
(only during the dry season).


Field snow
(also known as cotton but I prefer to imagine that it's snow. If I point both vents on me with the a/c going full-blast I can almost convince myself.)


Acres and acres of sugar-cane
(used for many things, including fuel).


Squatters



Nature
*Isn't this an amazing picture I took? It's kind of out of focus but we saw this guy on the side of the road going through the more jungle-like area. I rolled my window down for about 3 seconds to zoom in.


Bridges
(some a little scarier than others).

Cattle Drive


More Bridges
(why is it underlined?)



This is what the road looked like for 100 kilometers there and 100 kilometers back...


This is what everything within 100 yards of the dirt road looked like.


This is what the stuff traveling by trailer looked like after the 100 kilometers of dirt.


This is what had to be done before things were taken inside the house. We had to get almost everything inside the same night we arrived to make sure nothing disappeared while we slept.


Filth has never looked so cute!



*Ok, so I stole that picture of the jaguar off of the internet. I've always wanted to see one in person (besides at the zoo) and I always look hard when we're driving close to the jungle. But since it hasn't happened and probably never will happen I thought I'd enjoy making people believe that it did happen. I'm afraid I'm not enjoying that as much as I thought. Did anybody fall for it?

5 comments:

Meg in Tally said...

I admit I sorta fell for your ruse. I did think to myself...if she got that good of a picture, surely she would have some ...not so good...to share!

That little girl is just too cute! Makes you just want to pick her up and squeeze her! I absolutely LOVED Becky when she was that age. (Yep! I still do...) It's so much fun to dress them in those sweet dresses. I like how you don't make her stay so prissy and clean. Dirt is good for kids!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

Sort of. But it looks like you had fun.

bjk said...

Oh the memories! Sometimes we could only see the whites of the kids eyes. Even our teeth were red with dirt (we didn't have a/c and the windows were open so that nothing suffocated in the hot car).

No, we didn't fall for the onça photo! Sorry.

Glad you're home safely.

kimbosha said...

Okay, I admit. I fell for the fake picture and I should know better because you've done that to me before! The beauty of not having a memory -- every day is a new day, every picture is a new picture!

I can't imagine that much dirt. Do they sell Fels Naptha down there? Did you buy any while here to take with you? Should I ship you some?

What are YOU two going to do about a house now? Do share!

Mamajil said...

I fell for it but then and again I fall for just about everything!
I was holding my breathe thinking you were so brave to roll down your window to take the pic....cause it kinda looked like it was gonna spring at ya!!
:D