CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 18, 2008

A post for the grandmas.

Yesterday Karis asked me for an orange (tangerine) but I wouldn't let her have one because her face is so chapped from the dry air and the acid really aggravates her skin (perhaps there was a bit of laziness involves as I could have fed individual pieces to her and wiped her mouth as she ate). Anyway, I told her "no, because oranges make your face break-out". I'm in a bad habit of giving her explanations without stopping to think about whether she can understand them or not, although she seemed satisfied with this answer. So this afternoon she came running up to me in the kitchen and asked "mommy, can I have an orange? It won't break my face! It won't break it!".

Have I mentioned that the weather is beautiful here? The sun is going down now and it's in the 70's...we're just hanging out on the porch with our lap-tops (I'm still wondering if I should admit that fact or not), watching the munchkins do silly things. We have a nice breeze which is bringing lots of ashes over the wall from somebody burning (I love the smell of the fires!). Kim and I are wondering how we ever managed to live in the heat in Cuiaba for that amount of time.



Here are a few pictures back from Cuiaba. This was about a week before Karis and I headed over this way. One of J's Brazilian friends wanted to make lunch for us. This is one of many aspects of this culture that I love. They are so people-oriented and love to cook-out while sitting around the fire and visiting, etc. I can't wait to have friends over to our new house and cook-out on the back porch/cement yard:-)

You can tell that men prepared this meal as it consisted of fish, chicken, sausage and garlic bread (a little on the heavy side but very tasty!). Have I mentioned that Karis and I miss our man?



6 comments:

Meg in Tally said...

Poor Karis, thinking her face would break! But apparently it didn't frighten her too bad since she still wanted to eat it! So cute!

Hey! The Clampett's had a cement pond...you just have a cement yard!

Unknown said...

I love the Karis stories. I didn't find brown and pink boots for her but I did add to her "dress up" collection of pink fru fru stuff!

Don't be breaking my grandbaby's face!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

They are so people-oriented and love to cook-out while sitting around the fire and visiting, etc.

That means we are people-oriented... We love to cook out with anyone who will visit and our neighbors!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

OH, wait... the love to cook out part was not directly related to the people-oriented thing... Just when I thought I found a way to measure up

Mamajil said...

I'm with your mom on the "I love hearing Karis stories"...she is so cute!! Sounds like you are getting settled I bet that is a good feeling!
How is your toe?
take care!!

Ginny Smith said...

KELLEY!!!!
I am so glad to hear from you! I miss you so much!
Your daughter is beautiful!
When Kimmy walked into the gym the first day of practice last year I couldn't believe it, she looks like you and talks like you! She is so sweet and it makes me remember all the fun times we had together! I will pray for you!
I am so glad we have a way to keep in touch now. I am not real good at keeping up my blog. Mrs. Mary is constantly getting on to me. I'll try to do better though!
Love ya!
Ginny