CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Left-big-toe improvement, shopping and hubby exhaustion.

Good news folks, I think the infection in my left big toe is getting better! (for those of you who lost sleep over my "self-inflicted" wound).

Karis and I are staying at Kim's house for a few days. We spent the morning shopping for transformers and a bicycle. Shopping can be a different kind of experience here...not so enjoyable, therefore, I don't waste as much money on non-necessities (because I don't go shopping for pleasure...that's a good thing!). However, when I am forced to shop because I am in need I brace myself for the ride. At times like these I miss my country and the super wal-mart down the road in an amazing way! I am learning more about how things work yet am still eons of years behind in experience compared to the other women here since riding around in a car is one of my least favorite things to do (how many people do you know get motion sick while driving? It's sickening, I know.). Anywho, I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining because shopping here is a form of art (I am clearly not gifted in this area). You have to pay attention to detail (I'm about as non-detail-oriented as you can get) or you'll waste precious time. And the stores that you would expect to sell certain things probably don't have what you think they have. For instance, what item besides material can you buy at a fabric store? Any guesses? How about a horse saddle? Yes, many different ones to choose from, folks. Wanna know where my mother-in-law used to buy her honey? The salon down the street. The cell phone stores are normally out of credit (most phones here are pre-paid) so your best bet is to hit a few gas or bus-stations. Wanna grab a snack? Spot a nearby car-wash and chances are they'll have a snack-shop (you can even get your car washed while you eat. How about that?). So our morning of shopping wasn't very successful. The electrical store was out of most of the size transformers that I need and we only managed to find one bicycle shop while driving around. But hey, you live and you learn. It was partly successful since I did find (rather Kim saw and brought to my attention) a seat to fit on the back of a bike for Karis to sit on. So once we find the bike itself we'll be good to go!

For those of you who read this to keep up to date and pray for us, please remember Jonathan these days. The poor guy is swamped with so many things to do! He is the last one there to tie up loose ends on the base and every day something else comes along (yesterday it was mechanical problems with the mission's truck). He also has to worry about getting our house packed up. Even though at this point the moving company will pack it up he still has to be around to supervise, etc. Karis and I are ready for the wonderful man in our lives to join us, so we're praying that he can get a lot done these next few days and join us soon! Hopefully he will get to start heading this way by the end of next week.

Ok, last little entry for today. Karis is having so much fun with so many little girls nearby to play with! There are two little girls who live in an apartment close to ours who wander over almost everyday. A few days ago Karis saw one of them coming out of her apartment. She stopped, looked at me and said "oh mommy, I need to talk to Sarah" and then ran that way. She's so grown up (sniff sniff).

4 comments:

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

I wonder what I do here that is not in respect to the culture here...

bjk said...

Glad your toe is better. I loved that kind of shopping - a real challenge. Hope everyone reads carefully and realizes that the honey was from a beauty salon and not a saloon!! Oh, and if they were out of honey I could walk to the shop that sells window glass - they had good honey too. Loved your cultural tibbits. My yes, Karis is really communicating well. How cute!
Love you - Mom K.

Unknown said...

Karis said, "I need to talk to Sarah?" That's much too mature for a 2 year old. What a brilliant grandbaby I have! LOL

Went to the Good Cents store for the first time in weeks. Found many treasures too! Then went to Sonic for happy hour. Thought I'd gloat.

Hope you find a bike soon. We'll be praying for Jonathan!

Meg in Tally said...

Shopping with a sore toe? Oh, my!

Glad Karis is making friends, I wish my dd had had neighbor friends. That is so much fun!

I sure enjoyed spending the week with Kari's Aunt Kimmy! Coach says she reminds her so much of her big sister Kelley!