CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Unshakable Faith

After 1.5 months of reading "Unshakable Faith" by John Perry I am finally getting to the end of the 372 pages. Although it is filled with a lot of details and a bit laborious at times I am coming away challenged and renewed by the exemplified lives of Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver (the book is a biography on the two). I admit that I find myself more in tune with the ways/personality of George Washington Carver, yet both were lovers of my Lord and were used mightily by Him. Three of the main thoughts I am challenged with are...



1.) Every group of people, whether believers or non-believers is bound to have "politics" involved, to some extent. Many times the stumbling blocks one can cause in another's life can be rooted in very good intentions. I am challenged to reevaluate all of my relationships with others and be open to correction if a "good intention" of mine has been a source of hurt for another (Washington and Carver were so different in personality that although they both loved the Lord Jesus with all their heart there were still areas of tension between the two of them during the time they worked together at Tuskegee).

2.) Our motives for doing good have to be rooted in something deeper than our heart-felt desire to "do good" or be praised by man. As Oswald Chambers says,

"If we are devoted to the cause of humanity, we shall soon be crushed and broken-hearted, for we shall often meet with more ingratitude from men than we would from a dog; but if our motive is love to God, no ingratitude can hinder us from serving our fellow men."

3.) Patience with a good dose of humility is the way to go. I am amazed and encouraged by the responses both Washington and Carver gave those who were belittling, insulting and rude towards them.

In the early 1900's the Tuskegee perspective was
"Do not stand still and complain, but go forward---mere fault-finders accomplish little."

One trait of Carver's that I can totally relate to is seeing God as the "Creator". He always placed a fresh flower in his lapel each day and found satisfaction in studying the creation around him. I love his perspective when he says...

"To me nature in its varied forms are the little windows through which God permits me to commune with him, and to see much of his glory, by simply lifting the curtain, and looking in. I love to think of nature as wireless telegraph stations through which God speaks to us every day, every hour, and every moment of our lives."

This is definitely a book worth reading (skimming on some parts?). I haven't read the biography of Booker T. Washington "Up From Slavery" but I would assume it's very good and maybe more to the point (although probably wouldn't include much on the life of Carver). Has anybody read it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So is this book your reading the one you found (or did I find it?) at McKays when we went together? Do save it for me. I loved "Up From Slavery" and I'm very inspired by both those men. What I love about George Carver is that when he was questioned as to why he never patented his ideas he said, "How can I patent an idea from God?" He was very humble and mightily used by God. "Up From Slavery" is Booker T.'s biography and it might include a little about George Washington Carver -- I can't remember. It's a great read -- especially for spoiled children w/o a strong work ethic! LOL

Ruth Milligan posted Guatemala pix on her Facebook. (Thought I'd throw that in for free.)

Love, mom

Mrs. Pittman said...

What bio did you read on Mother Theresa? I'm looking for a good biography to add to our book club que. We had our first meeting last night, lots of younger moms eager for some intellectual bantering of ideas. You would love it - and we would love having you!