CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Mother #3

Lest any of you think I'm winding down in blogging now that the newness of has worn off I'm actually running around like a chicken with my head cut off (a plump chicken...can anybody tell me how you can go from spending winter in the States eating lots of Papa John's pizza then coming here to the intense heat, eating healthier and less quantity and even exercising from time-to-time and yet still gain weight? I'm at a loss on this one.) Anyway, yesterday afternoon was the first portion of time I've had at home this week and after I finished getting caught up on laundry, etc, I ended up spending time on some over-due phone calls...hence, I didn't get around to posting anything (and I just know that there are tons of people out there anxious to read another post on my blog:-)

I want to take this time to introduce you all to Mrs. Smith*. My new adopted mom who has brought unforeseen encouragement to my life!


First I'll tell you the story of how we met. While spending time in the States for furlough I had come with the expectation to reach out and bless somebody at some point during our stay (have you ever sat back and realized that so much of your life is about you, which causes that sick sort of feeling in your gut? I guess you could say I experienced that on a regular basis last year.) I had great intentions to practice being a Mother Theresa (who's biography I had just finished reading) and bless the nation with my presence. Thankfully, I already knew from experience that great intentions and extreme efforts mixed with some pride usually fail completely and end up giving me a portion of humble pie. I think I'm getting a little too detailed in this account...let's skip a few months time and get to the part where I felt the Holy Spirit's nudge when I read in our church bulletin that our church was hosting a birthday party at a local nursing home. I just knew this was it, and I was scared spitless (I know that's not a word). I have been to several nursing homes before trying to be an encouragement yet always feel lost and uncomfortable not knowing how to be/act. But this nudge was more of a push and I guess you could say I didn't have much of a choice. Karis and I joined the deaconesses of our church at the nursing home a few days later and to my surprise everything went wonderfully (having the most adorable little girl at your side helps in almost any situation!). So this is the part where we meet mom #3, Mrs. Smith. Although Karis and I made a few rounds around the room talking and visiting (it was a great experience) we ended up spending a large portion of the time with Mrs. Smith who said she would love to have us come back and visit her. You would think this would calm any past fears of mine yet when it the next week rolled around and I knew we should go back to visit I had lingering doubts "what if she doesn't remember me? what if one of the other residents yells at me in the hallway or something?" (isn't it crazy the kind of thoughts that can prevent us from doing something we know we should do?). Fortunately, for once in my life, I didn't let those fears make a decision for me and we went back. There isn't a lot left to say except that Karis and I have been blessed 10x more than Mrs. Smith has been blessed by us, I'm sure. She is a precious, precious woman who loves the Lord with all of her heart (and after getting to know her I realized she was in need of a friend outside of the home. This particular home is filled with many individuals who are not in a good state mentally, if you know what I mean). The only reason that Mrs. Smith is in the home is because she became legally blind suddenly and couldn't cook for herself, etc. You would think that her present circumstances would give her reason to have a negative attitude and yet I still haven't seen one hint of grumpiness on that woman's face. She is a light shining bright to those around her! I am so, so thankful the Lord brought her into my life.

So she is the one I spent most of my afternoon time with on the phone yesterday. I miss her so much! I also want to encourage any young moms reading this to find time in your busy schedule to take your little ones to a nursing home and find a Mrs. Smith (as I spent more time in the nursing home I found that there were several more individuals in the home who were in a great mental state and in desperate need of friendship yet were bound to their room, for whatever reason). There is so much we and our children can learn in this situation as well as bless somebody at the same time (and most likely receive blessings ourselves!). Here are a some of the benefits we've received through making trips to the nursing home.

1. Karis enjoys being around the elderly, calls them her "friends" and ministers to their hearts in ways that I can't (I've been around children who feel uncomfortable around the elderly and I don't want this for my children!)

2. Although showing physical affection is not one of my strengths I've definitely grown in this area as it comes a lot more natural when you can see the strong need for it (some of the patients were very much there mentally and in need of affection but couldn't communicate due to a stroke, etc. I was able to see the power of the human touch as their face would light up with a hug or a hand resting on their arm).

3. Listening to the older ladies share stories and laugh together is an unforgettable experience! I found myself laughing harder than I ever have.

4. Even though Karis is still very young I hope to teach her to live her life for others and instead of waking up each day thinking "what fun thing can I do today?" hopefully she will think of those around her who may be lonely or in need if something she can give. Spending time around those confined to a nursing home definitely helps one put life's priorities into perspective.

5. Lessons from the past...Mrs. Smith is filled with much knowledge and wisdom. She's lived life a lot longer than we have and therefore has been through many more experiences. She's given me some great ideas on mothering!

The list could go on and on yet I have a few open hours at home this morning so I better not spend it all on my blog post:-)


*Not her real name.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You must have come by your fear of nursing homes naturally -- because I have the same feelings that you described yet once I make myself go, I'm always glad I did! Having visited your "Mrs. Smith" twice now, I totally agree with everything you shared. What a honey! She makes you feel like you are the most important person in the world. (That's because I'm the mom of her newly adopted daughter.) Those of you who find it easy and natural to minister to the sick and elderly, you are blessed in deed!

Meg in Tally said...

What a great witness, Kell!

When my dd was Karis' age I helped lead a sing-along at a nursing home in in Tally for 5 years. The Activities Director always encouraged me to bring dd because 'children' are what these people miss the most. If you think about it, in our everyday lives as we are out and about we see children everywhere. But since they don't get out much, they RARELY get to see children. This is why it blesses them so much to see them!

I've learned so much from my friendships with elderly ladies...that is how God meant it to be. We always get the biggest blessing!

God doesn't expect me to befriend a mass of elderly folks...just the ones He puts in my path. Surely, your Mrs. Smith was one put in your special path!

Mamajil said...

Kelley I enjoyed your blog!!I think its great that Karis is getting an opportunity to be a part of seeing you minister to "Ms. Smith" what an awesome way to grow up!! Oh and by the way I do remember you....Its neat to see that you are all grown up with a beautiful family!!
take care!!