CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Packin' up and Headin' Out

Today the last flight from the mission base took place (it actually left yesterday to pick up a missionary but was unable to return 'til today because of weather). Although I am not emotionally attached to the base like many who have strong roots here, I definitely sense the difficulty that so many face seeing this place being packed up and knowing that once we leave it will never be the same (it has been sold to a developer who will bulldoze everything and build condominiums). This is the base where Jonathan spent many of his childhood years. Actually, it is the base where his parents met for the first time!

About 1 1/2 years ago when the plan to move was taking place we would have regular meetings as a mission. One thing that was discussed over and over was how the move would take place and what the "last ones" living here would do for security, etc. I always thought "wow, I really feel sorry for whoever that is". Don't ever think that way...it's very dangerous. Yes, those "last ones" happen to be us:-) It isn't that we're stuck here much longer than most (only about a month) but the hard part is seeing everything change, close down and people leave while we're still here. I can't imagine what a ghost town it will become in the next few weeks! It is very bittersweet. Change is a normal and natural part of life and even though all of us are confident that this big change is of the Lord, it is still a challenging time for many. The Lord has used this 100 acre tract of land to help bring His Word to many different indigenous groups of people for almost 50 years!

As of now the aviation dept., the school and many offices as well as about half of the families have already left. By next weekend it will pretty much be down to 3 families! Karis has no idea what's going on...I don't think she even notices that things are changing except that she gets to run around with me packing/moving boxes. And it doesn't matter to her! To Karis, her only real ties in life are to her mommy and papai (well, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends too, of course!) But now she'll go anywhere with us and adapt within a few days. It's only after we've lived a little longer on this earth that we begin to grow roots and often resist uprooting when opportunities arise. It reminds me how I need to keep a constant, eternal focus because this world as we know it isn't our home anyway. We're here for a reason and it isn't to sit back comfortably, sip our lemonade and enjoy the sunsets (although we sure do enjoy them when those moments come along!). I do pray that I will constantly cling to my Father, so that when He's ready to uproot me again I'll be as ready and willing as Karis is when we drag her around this world...and she really has been dragged around quite a bit! (Did I conjugate that correctly?)

Last flight coming in from a village today.


One of Karis' first words was "airplane" and she's still fascinated by them!

2 comments:

Meg in Tally said...

I know next to nothing about the compound or mission where you live...but your post today made me cry thinking of all that God has done for all those folks through there in the last 50 years. (Of course, if you'd quoted the Star Spangled Banner I probably would have cried too!) But seriously, you'll be in our prayers!

Unknown said...

I hadn't thought about how tough this move may be emotionally for Jonathan and others who have spent so much time there. We'll be praying for a smooth transition and for God's blessing on the new locations!