CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Lemons anyone?

Wow, what a sour post I wrote on Tuesday! After re-reading it I realize how absolutely pity-partyish it seemed. Now honestly, I am the world's best at throwing pity-parties....really...but that actually wasn't one. I think it was a combination of sleepiness, anxious feelings and the desire to try and be funny (that always gets me into trouble). So for clarity of mind I would like to explain....

1. As much as I love and admire my mom and want to be like her in a lot of ways, I don't feel bad that I'm not her (multitasking is a trait I admire and respect but I think you're right Meg, that some of it can be acquired over time!). Remember how I have strong tendencies to make fun of myself? (thanks to my siblings!). This would be one of those occasions. If Stace reads that post she'll be like "haha, you're so right...you can't do any two things at the same time!" and we'll both laugh and try to remember stories where I tried to accomplish two things at once and miserably failed (is this not normal or something?). Either way, thanks for your encouraging comments, Meg-n-Debbie:-)

2. I really am ok with friends not enjoying my chili. Of course everybody wants their guests to enjoy the food you cook for them but I do realize that the most important thing is the fellowship around the table (and I'm secure in my chili-making abilities...I just realize some people aren't huge chili fans and suffer from heartburn...I've never had heartburn so I have no idea how miserable that can be). Also, if anybody reading this ever eats at my house (most of you have a very long way to travel and even I don't think my chili is worth it. ha!) I don't want you to feel like you need to shower me with compliments or feel awkward if you don't like my food. Honestly, I'd prefer you make fun of it so that we can laugh about it! I guess it got to me more the other night because I saw how much they were suffering when every bone in my body wanted to say "It's ok! Really, it's ok...don't eat another bite. Can I get you a pb&j?" Yet knowing that they'd be embarrassed knowing that I know....well, I just thought it'd be better to let them suffer and then feel like polite human beings afterward (just for extra credit, my husband tells me I'm exaggerating and that one of them even used the word "good" when thanking me for supper. He's probably right.)

This does lead me onto the subject of being picky when it comes to eating. I had no idea how many adults out there are picky eaters! (and for the most part don't eat what they don't like since their mom isn't standing over them making them). How can this be? I guess I am blessed/cursed with the gene where you can place anything in front of me and not only will I eat it, but I'll probably enjoy it (which is great in a lot of ways but it also gives me that strong tendency to eat just for fun). So I've spent a lot of time pondering this subject. How can this be? These are the thoughts that come to mind.

1. Do we taste things differently? If I could jump in your body and eat spinach would I not like it then?

2. I wholeheartedly believe that we need to do everything we can not to let our children become picky eaters. I'm sure if you're forced to eat a variety of foods growing up that this helps out in some way (not that you'll grow up enjoying everything, but I think you'll be more open-minded to try new things). The starving children in Africa aren't picky, that's for sure. We were pretty poor when I was young so I don't think mom ever had to force food on us...we were happy if there was enough for seconds! (correct me if I'm wrong, mom).

3. Junk food/processed food alters our taste buds.

4. Perseverance pays off. When we moved to Brazil the one fruit I just couldn't get used to was Papaya. It tastes how moth-balls smell (will somebody please tell me they know exactly what I'm talking about?!) Yet because they are so plentiful and inexpensive here (and I'm sure they're good for you) I worked 3 long, hard years to learn to like them (kudos to me) and now I can say that I do! I appreciate the ones that have less of that moth-bally taste but even that doesn't prevent me from buying them and enjoying them at this point. When we move I'm even going to plant some of my favorite kind of papayas in our yard! (they grow on a tree).

Anybody else have opinions on this subject? Thankfully at this point my munchkin is much like her parents and rarely says no to any sort of food. I'm curious to see if her future younger siblings are as easy as she has been...did she catch "the gene" or have I just done an amazing job at forcing things down her throat at an early age? :-)

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey .... YES, I think it is very important to try to help our children not be picky ...It is funny how I've introduced healthy, nutritious foods as much as possible from the start with both of my children, yet Sophie is still sooooo particular about certain seasonings, textures,meats, etc ... We still make her "try" everything ...especially with how much children's taste buds change so much in those first few years. Eli, on the other hand will eat anything we put in front of him, and loves raw fruits/veggies/salads, etc ... Sophie is just now enjoying more raw foods at 3 1/2 yrs old, and now knows she's been missing out :)I remember being "forced" to eat things such as liver and onions ... to the point that I would get so sick b/c of not being able to handle the taste and smell. It went way beyond "trying" it ... some foods just don't agree with me and literally make me sick ... So, where is the fine line with being sensitive to that, yet teaching our children to not be picky or waste food, and to be thankful for the food that we have ???? For us, Joel and I know the certain foods Sophie just doesn't like, yet we still make her try a few bites, and I try to make that particular food in different ways ...in hope that maybe she will eventually realize it isn't that bad after all :)

Meg in Tally said...

Who knows what makes us like some things and hate others? The problem I continue to have with dd is that she doesn't like to chew! Her teeth have always been fine (had them checked)..but she hated having to chew too much. To this day, she peels her apples, won't eat steak or pork chops, and if it doesn't totally fall apart after one chomp...it comes out onto the plate!

Yet, she loves most vegetables that I hate and NEVER cook! How can MY child love spinach and greens? I'll never know...

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

Oh. Greens I should have added that to my post! Check it out! On food choices. S is averse to root veggies (carrots and potatoes). Go figure. I didn't do anything different with him than with L and M. I don't get it either!

Unknown said...

Here's a comment about your chili. I love your chili. Your dad, on the other hand, has problems with it being called chili because you put corn and black beans in it. This is crazy, I know, but if you served it to him and called it something other than "chili" he'd love it. In his mind chili is only chili if it has red kidney beans and no corn. LOL

You have always been a great eater and I think it's great that you learned to like food that tastes like moth balls.

Mary's right -- much of my multi-tasking abilities were born of necessity and they increased as the number of children increased. Now that the children are leaving the nest and I'm getting older, I'm losing the ability to multi-task!

Thanks, Debbie, for pointing out that those of us with talents in some areas have weaknesses in others. I'd trade half my multi-tasking abilities for your talent at organizing and scheduling. One day I'll be organized and have a schedule that stays consistent but that will be when I live alone (and hopefully that'll ever happen).