CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Within me lies a spirit of non self-discipline...

I have to admit that self discipline is a mystery to me. I'm obsessed with the idea of self control and self discipline, yet when it comes to living my life in such a way....well, I'm certainly lacking.

Like, when I read about the 5:00 club. Oh, awesome (thought I). That is JUST what I need! However I haven't rolled out of bed before 7am these past few mornings. Partly because my self discipline really needs to take place the night before (go to bed before midnight) so that I can get up early the next morning.

I'm always inspired and challenged by 1 Cor. 9 when Paul talks about making his body his slave, for the sake of the gospel! Unfortunately the catalyst for my self discipline is usually rooted in selfishness (you think I nixed sugar out of my diet for the sake of self control?). It is interesting though, that I am more content with my life when I am practicing self discipline! Even though 2 months of hard work have only taken 4 lbs off this body I think I've been able to stay away from sugar (for the most part) because I feel better when I recognize that I am, in fact, able to deny myself in this one area. I feel somewhat in control. Hmmmm....go figure...self control makes me feel in control.

And that, my friends, is the end of my self discipline shpeal. If anyone has some suggestions or encouragement that could help one-not-so-disciplined (such as myself) please feel free to leave a comment (or two)...

This makes no sense to me but when I am getting close to traveling, and I'm really excited about traveling I tend to start procrastinating to keep myself from getting too excited. If you're totally confused, let me explain. Instead of working on tasks 2 weeks in advance in preparation for my trip (like I should) I put them off so as not to think about the trip and get too excited, which would leave me feeling disappointed since I still have to wait two whole weeks. Today was the day that I finally allowed myself to start thinking seriously about the trip and begin to plan. However, just like every other time I've done this to myself I realize there is too much to do and not enough time to do it! I'm leaving in 4 days for crying out loud!

One area I should have been working on is meals for my hubby. Now, he was a bachelor for 10 years prior to our wedding day so really he can take care of himself. He makes a mean omelet as well as stir-fry and a fancy version of ramen noodles. He will not lose weight while I'm gone, that's for sure. But it did dawn on me today that "gee, it sure would be halfway thoughtful to leave the man something to eat while I'm in the U.S. partying."

So today Karis and I made some tortillas for him (nothing to go with them yet, but this is a start).

As I watched Karis help me today I felt so much gratefulness for this indescribable blessing in my life. She brings so much joy to our lives!


She is always so excited to help (I must admit that part of my motivation for accepting her help is in the hopes that she will still want to help 10 years down the road when she really IS a help:-)


And can you tell which tortillas were rolled by her?

Even though the seasons are different down here and I miss certain aspects about the States (like fall!) I realized today that there is something very unique about the weather here. We get to experience spring, summer and winter all in the same day! This morning it was fresh and cool, this afternoon the sun was blazing and we were sweating and now we have a freezing wind from the south coming through. I am cold....I love being cold for short amounts of time! We sat on the porch and watched the wind all snuggled up in our blankets tonight.


I guess I better go to bed in order to get up early tomorrow in the hopes of getting a lot of things done that should have been done a long time ago....



4 comments:

Christopher Ryan said...

I love the tortilla story! You know our moms did the same thing when we were little (and it paid off in the end, right? ) Here's to planning ahead (and enjoying the time you have now!)

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

Did you think the trip wouldn't happen?

Laura said...

So, how exactly do you watch the wind? ;)

Meg in Tally said...

Watching the wind sounds good to me! That's an exercise I can muster the self-control for!