CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 24, 2008

Vanity, vanity...all is vanity...

Has anybody noticed that my profile picture has changed 5 times in the past 2 weeks? I decided I really needed to take off my pre-child picture that I had up there for so long. Even though it was a picture from my skinnier days, appeared as if I had a tan (as well as a good hair day) it just didn't seem right. "I need to go authentic" I thought.

Now I realize that I really don't want to go too authentic. My friend Kelli snapped a few shots after I got my hair chopped off (anybody notice that?) but because I was trying so hard to stretch my double chin out they looked a bit goofy. I mustered up enough courage to ask Jonathan to take a few (I felt really strange asking him to do this) but ended up with the same results. A strained looking face.

I've never done this before in my life but I finally decided to sit there with a camera and take pictures of myself. I was so nervous that Jonathan would walk in and inquire what in the world I was doing. I can't imagine anything more embarrassing. At first I was feeling a bit camera shy and then I thought "shy because of what? It's just me and an electronic device!" so after about 30 pictures I was getting the hang of it and feeling very free. Why am I telling you this? I have no idea. I can't believe I'm not hitting the backspace key as fast as I can.

My new profile picture is a bit quirky but I would much prefer to have a quirky picture than a chubby looking picture. What can I say, I'm vain. And somehow admitting that on my blog makes me feel a little less vain. I mean, if I were really, really vain then I wouldn't admit it, right? So I must not be THAT vain.

Today I realized that a good cure for vanity is riding my bike down to the grocery store. Even though my newly acquired exercise habits have helped firm up my bod a bit, there is this one stretch of cobblestone that reminds me all too well how much isn't so firm. My goodness I can only imagine what I must look like bumping down that road on my bike.

I am now done talking about my vain life. Although this portion of my post does remind me of this poster I saw on another blog...


Ok, that's worth a good laugh.

As I was returning home from the grocery store today I was thinking of all the different things I wanted to post about (and 2 out of the three were spiritual!). Now that it is 5 hours later and the effect of the caffeine has worn off I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick to the one nonspiritual topic (my vanity).

Here is clue as to what is to come...I want to join a club! I heard about this club on Mamahen's blog today. I've never been a part of a club before (except 4H but that so doesn't count). This one is free and I'm fairly certain will even improve my, my husband's and my daughter's life! Yay for free, life-improving clubs!

Just a few more nonspiritual glimpses into our lives here...

Karis loves to help me pick basil (tucked in between the elephant ear plants!). Since she discovered that this plant is ok to eat she will pick and eat the leaves raw. I am not sure if she enjoys them or just eats them because she can.


Father and daughter enjoying their healthy drinks together. How sweet.




5 comments:

MamaHen Em said...

I LOVE your haircut. I think short hair is so cute AND, you are so lovely, I can't imagine that you took a bad photo :)

Karis eating the basil reminds me of my kids searching our tiny garden for anything edible. They would pull the carrots and eat them dirt and all. Which is funny cause they don't eat them regularly! It must be something about fresh!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

You have got to be kidding! The alarm must be by the bed. The snooze doesn't exist and off is the only option! 5:00!!!

All silliness aside - Let us know how it goes tomorrow and I'll let you know!

Michawn said...

O.K., so you don't know me, but I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now...found it through Kim's blog. I live in Anapolis and we are with Asas de Socorro. Just wanted to tell you that you crack me up and I really like reading your blog. I can totally relate to the 'vanity' stuff...I have done the whole taking-pictures-over-and-over-again-because-you-are-avoiding-the-chubby-and-double-chin-look thing...thank God for digital, right? :) Anyway, maybe we'll actually meet one day. Until then, good to 'meet' you here.

Rachie Pachie said...

I love the new picture! All those cute pics of Karis cheesin' for the camera make me think of you & so now this picture looks like how I remember you! :) Weird, huh?

Love the blogging pic! And the cycling story! LOL

Meg in Tally said...

I NEED that poster! It's wayyy too true! LOL!!

Love the new pix. It reminds me that you are sister to Kimbosha. The only thing missing is the fake glasses. The glasses always get me!

I'm loving all the glimpses of your home. Still gives me chills at the blessing!