CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Present Day Holocaust

Holocaust - "Any mass slaughter or reckless destruction of life."

Let's face it, all of us have become desensitized to some extent when it comes to abortion. We hear words like "pro-life" "pro-choice" "partial birth abortion" and although we may be dismayed when the subject arises we learn to block out the feelings deep down inside of us that grip our hearts; the part of us that recognizes how truly horrific abortion is.

I remember when I was a child and learned what an abortion was. I spent nights crying for the unfortunate babies labeled as "tissue" and honestly couldn't grasp how any human, let alone friends and family that I knew, believed there was nothing wrong with terminating a helpless life. My mind couldn't fathom it. There were some individuals who were a part of my life that I wanted to avoid because I didn't know how to relate to them anymore. As a child it didn't make sense to me that they proclaimed to love me (see value in my life) and at the same time believe that if my mom had terminated her pregnancy before I was born then that would have been ok. Hypocrisy is what I was witnessing but couldn't define in my own mind. Either human life has value, or it doesn't. Age, size, social status or the ability to defend one's own life doesn't change that value. All human life is valuable or no human life holds value. Who is willing to define human value? Who wants to be the one to say you have to be smarter than"this" or contribute at least "this much" to society before your life has any value? Who is willing to look a mother with a special needs child in the eye and tell her that her child is worthless because he/she hasn't earned value in society's eyes? We are a hypocritical nation.

I wasn't planning on posting about abortion but I had a link sent to me of a short video regarding abortion and Obama's stance on the issue. It is a reminder that my home country has become a slaughter house to millions of babies. Please take the time to watch the video below. It has very graphic images so I would advise any of you mothers to watch it before you let your children!

www.ObamaMustSee.com

It is our duty to fight for the life of the unborn. We can't sit by and live life in our comfy homes forgetting what is happening outside our front door. Let's not deceive ourselves into thinking there is nothing we can do about it!

The rest of this post is going to seem rather paltry in comparison to the beginning! Ah well, here we go anyway...

I am ecstatic to report that all of those mangoes that fell during the storm are ripening! As they ripen I am cutting and slicing...here is what's left of them.


I am probably sucking the life out of my already-20-year-old dehydrator! I LOVE dried mango. Part of the reason I begged my husband not to cut down the mango tree right away was so I could attempt to make a year's supply of dried mango! He is letting me have it for one season (what a cupcake)...


My decoupage has hardly been touched in weeks. I thought for sure it'd be finished by the time I left for good ol' Tally town. Not going to happen, folks! Every day has felt like a whirlwind for the past several weeks and there is no sign it is going to let up before December 1st. This is how it will sit 'til the new year arrives...


A few recent Karis funnies...

I told Karis to clean up her toys in the living room so that I could sweep and mop. She obeyed immediately and did a great job! I said "Thanks Karis. You did great!" she replied "you're welcome, sweetie" in the most grown up, motherly voice she could muster.

A few days ago Karis decided she would fix her hair by herself. She got out the squirt bottle, her brush and went to work. Usually her hair is already fixed (to keep it out of her eyes) so she doesn't get too many opportunities to play this way. The end result was very wet hair with a crooked part. You also need to know that there is a cafeteria at the school here that we've been eating lunches at rather frequently. When Karis was done she said "I'm going to go to lunch and everybody will say 'awe, how cute'!" I'm sure I've done nothing to contribute to her self-admiration.


9 comments:

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

Why get rid of the mango tree?

MamaHen Em said...

Oh Kelly, I absolutely hear you on the abortion issue. I grew up the daughter of a State Right To Life President, attending marches, watching videos, handing out pamphlets at the county fair. My oldest sister is adopted, from a mama who could have chosen to end her life instead of give her to us. Having Obama elected as our president means only that I pray each day that all of the efforts of the Right to life movement don't get undone. You said it so well. For those who don't see human life as worth saving, then I wonder, why bother with liberty and the freedoms we have? Without life they are worthless. I could go on and on. I think you struck my heart today in a place I've been soft already :)

Unknown said...

Very touching, and true ... thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to to hear the Karis funnies up close and in person ... less than 2 weeks!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing! Very well written! Soooo true .... and soooo horrific that abortion occurs!

Do you know ...I have never even tried a mango? I guess I'm missing out!!

Mamajil said...

Kelley,
How awesome to have a mango tree in your yard!!! :)
I love your Karis stories!! Ruby goes around here telling us how cute she is too....hmmmm Healthy self esteem?? lol
so you will be home in a couple of weeks email me and lets plan to get together....

Christopher Ryan said...

The abortion info at the top of the post is so true, and so scary when one thinks about where the US is headed...

As for the paltry portion of your post ;) I think dried mango is the best too! Enjoy!!

Have fun in Tally too! Will all three of you get to go? How long will you get to stay? I know your mom (and mine) will be thrilled to see you guys - give them all hugs for us! (It looks like we'll be going back for a visit in February, as that's the first real break in Sidonie's classes.)

Kelley said...

WHAT? Never tried a mango? Yes, you are truly missing out. Although only having access to mangoes that are picked green and then imported makes not so horrific. If you tried one of these babies you'd consider moving down here :-)

Mango trees can cause lots of issues. The main one being that the mangoes fall and break the tiles on the roof. The other reason my hubby isn't so ecstatic about having it is the roots will eventually cause problems for our guest house as well as the wall we will be building between the two houses once we save up the moula (not to mention the stinky mess they make, although I'm doing pretty good on staying on top of that situation!)

Rachie Pachie said...

Kelley!

Steve found you on FB & told me to check out your blog!

So good to "see" you on here... your life sounds pretty exciting right now with a little one & living in Brazil! The ministry sounds amazing!

I skimmed through some of your posts & noticed you mentioned infertility. We have been trying for 4 yrs... I was diagnosed with endometriosis last summer & we've decided to move onto the big, bad infertility treatment & also foster parenting.

There's a huge community of support, if you want people to talk to you about the medication you're about to start or just to relate with other people in our situation. You can visit my blogs through this comment... I have one I update more often for family & friends, then my IF (infertility) blog.

Really would love to hear back from you anyhow!

Rachel (Bardin) from Maranatha Christian

PS- Karis is ADORABLE!

Meg in Tally said...

As IF you could write 'paltry'...

If you ever feel 'paltry' throw in a Karis picture! LOL!!