CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Beetle: It's what's for dinner.

No, not really. Actually it was a roach and we all partook together, being the sharing family that we are. Ok, ok...not a living, crawling, eeeeeeeeeeewy roach but a chocolaty gooey roach. It was Karis' 3rd birthday yesterday so her loving mother made her a roach cake. Between her fascination with the nasty insects and my twisted sense of humor (and lack of skill when it comes to baking cakes) I was left without any other good options! Now, if you are impressed (and I know you are) that I accomplished such a task just wait 'til you see this baby! Not only did I make a cake resembling a roach but I made a cake that in reality resembles a roach that has been stepped on a time or two! Can anybody else out there beat that? I didn't think so. Take a look at this gem... (Sidenote: do not, I repeat do NOT zoom in on this one!)

Isn't she a beauty? And I know several of you are dying to ask the question "did Karis even know what it was?" and I am proud to tell you that she did! Without any help or hints from us. But I must confess that the reason she knew had more to do with her interest in the 6-legged creature than it did my cake making skills. Yes, I will admit that much.

Can't you just feel the excitement?


Pure pleasure.


Those were actually pre-birthday party pictures. We began celebrating by having a mac-n-cheese supper. This was the first answer I received when I asked Karis what she wanted me to make. Her second answer was "eggs", her third answer was "rice and beans" and her fourth answer was "cake". I chose to go with the first answer since it was easy to make and the most appealing of the 4.


It was fun to have Mike, Kelli and baby Emily with us to celebrate! Mike and Kelli were with us for Karis' 1st birthday too!

Now onto the cake (she preferred eating the legs which were miniature chocolate bars)...

We had to get a picture (or 2 or 3 or 6) of the bib twins...


Yes, they love eachother.

Next came presents! Finally my child enjoys the actual present more than the wrapping paper! We have 21 pictures of opening presents but I'll spare you and only put one here.

Those were some Polly Pocket dolls that my mom sent her (and that she LOVES!) She calls them her Wolly Pocket toys.

She received two backpacks last night and they are both so cute! The first is one from her Aunt Cristy...


and the 2nd from Aunt Kimbosha (who picked it up for her in Guatamaula!)...


I love her backpacks! She enjoyed everything she was given. Well, she showed no excitement over the clothes 'til she got to wear her new ducky pj's and then play dress-up with her new play dress (each one given by a different grandma).

And since we all happened to be semi-dressed up (that's Jonathan's dressy t-shirt) we took a few family pictures...


My little girl isn't so little anymore (*snif snif*).


But she still lets me give her 34+ kisses per day! Hope that lasts a few more years :-)


Party over.




7 comments:

MamaHen Em said...

What a sweet, sweet birthday! I loved the roach cake! I'm sure Karis will remember it! You did a great job!

Laura said...

Franz Kafka would be proud! What a great cake!

MamaHen Em said...

I wasn't sure you'd see this in my comments, so I'm posting this here!

I made my new header at www.scrapblog.com - a very cool website that M is for Mommy told me about. It's waaa-ay too much fun and incredibly addictive. I tried emailing you the info, but maybe it didn't go through? Once you make what you want, you can save it as a JPEG file and then add it to your header as a picture from your computer.

Christopher Ryan said...

OK, so this blog is TOO CUTE! It looks like Karis had quite a celebration. I can't believe she's three already! Time really flies! I think my favorite picture is the one with you and Karis looking at the camera and smiling - It's really adorable - she look so much like you, it's crazy! (The family picture with Jonathan's dress T-shirt comes in a close second, however!) I'm so glad we got to hang out a little bit the last time we were all in the same country. When I see pictures of Karis now, I feel like I can add her cute little voice to the anecdotes! So, when will you guys be in the states next? It looks like February for us (potentially the whole month!) Tell Jonathan and Karis hello for us!

Tiffany said...

Awww ...cute picts! Awesome cake :) Children are just too cute ... everything they come up with!

Kara said...

I'm so glad it was a pretend roach and not a real roach cake. I thought maybe that roaches were a delicacy where you currently live. LOL!

Cute though!

Meg in Tally said...

I agree with Ryan...the pic with you and Karis both smiling at the camera is absolutely precious!

I'm finally caught up on your blog. Life has been so crazy lately I've gotten so behind in BloggyWorld. I confess playing your mom in Facebook Scrabble has taken up an inordinate amount of time. She's a beast in Scrabble!