CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wollybops

Here in Brazil if you buy something at a store and they don't have change they'll ask if you'll take a few pieces of candy or gum instead (even though they ask you usually don't have a choice or a say in the matter:-) Tonight the cashier gave Karis a "wollybop" (lolly-pop) which made my semi-deprived-of-sweets-child ecstatic. She doesn't call them lolly-pops because until last week she didn't even know they existed...until somebody (not her mother) gave her one at church on Sunday...one of the kiddos told her what it was and so this week she hasn't stopped talking about wollybops. I guess I can't keep her naive forever. At least she is sitting next to me eating an apple right now which makes me feel better knowing that she will have her 2nd wollybop tomorrow (although she better realize that I am not going to buy them for her:-)

We are busily moving into our new house. It is already so homey! We spent our first night here last night and since neither of us could sleep (you know how it takes a few days to acclimate to new surroundings) I kept thinking throughout the night "is this real? is this REALLY our house?!". We are so thankful and blessed. I can't wait to post some pictures! If our rechargeable batteries weren't on the fritz and would give us more than 20 seconds to take pictures and upload them before they die I might have already (then again, maybe not).

Totally off subject but when I was in high school I got my front tooth knocked out playing basketball (root and all!). The dentist put it back in and bonded it to the other teeth but my mouth didn't accept it so it has been gradually eating away at the root. I am only telling you this because recently it has become a bit loose (we knew it wouldn't last forever) so we talked about it over dinner. I told J how much it was annoying me...you know when you lost your teeth and how yuck it felt when they weren't secure anymore? It is driving me nuts! Anyway, I guess Karis was listening (as she inhaled her tomatoes) because she just came up to me and said "If I lose my tooth I will cry and I will lose my tooth".

8 comments:

Meg in Tally said...

I've known family's who didn't let there children eat candy--ever. Then when the kids weren't with the parents they went WAYYYYYY overboard with sweets.

You can control these things now...but don't expect that to last!

My humble opinion...moderation.

Ask your mother.

Meg in Tally said...

Oops...that sounded kind of heavy on the criticism...didn't mean it to! Just trying to offer another option.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new 'homey' place WITH a toilet seat and shower head!!!

hmmm...did I hear about a pool?

lea said...

sorry about the tooth.. does the tooth fairy visit adults? i want my change in lollypops!

Kelley said...

Well, Meggy girl, you've given me something to post about in the future. You've also tempted me to get up on my soap box in regard to the phrase "ALL things in moderation". My speech usually begins like this, "A little sin in moderation?" Haha...I won't go there...at least not for now...

But it IS an area where I feel constantly torn because refined sugar is never good for our bodies (or our minds) and I personally have issues in my life related to my addiction to sugar (which formed as a habit when I was just a munchkin). Because sugar is a man-made product I feel free to say that this world would be much better without it:-) Anyway, we haven't been that strict with Karis (if we or others are eating it we usually let her have some but don't make a big deal out of it). Yesterday we ate at somebody's house and during dessert she wanted some so I put her on my lap and gave her very tiny bites. After about 3 she got down to go play...that made me happy. Ok, this is long enough...

Mrs. Pittman said...

I definitely will be looking forward to your anti-moderation post, Kelley :)

..And the pictures of your house. You should fly Lea over there to take some. She's very good!

Why didn't you tell me I forgot to put you on my Friends who have blogs sidebar? I hope it's because you didn't notice. But it's up there now.

Unknown said...

I was able to keep sweets from you for at least a year and then, at your one year old birthday party (and behind my back) your dad was shoveling ice-cream in your mouth. I even made an adorable chocolate teddy bear cake that I wouldn't let you eat. Oh well. The no sweets didn't last that long. Just give me some chocolate and no one will get hurt.

Meg in Tally said...

Hey! Wait a minute! I DID NOT say ALLLLLLL things in moderation. I was ONLY talking about sugar! After reading you mom's comment, can you figure out why YOU have a problem? It's all HER fault! LOL!!!

Another question: How does man MAKE sugar? Didn't God provide the plant? Just wondering.

BTW, TAG! Since I'm afraid you're going to blast me with the anti-moderation thingy, I'm giving you something else to blog about...since with moving and all you're probably bored and need something to do.

Kelley said...

Yes, Meg, you didn't say ALL things, did ya? I guess I've had that phrase thrown at me a time or two so that when I see the word "moderation" it automatically goes with "all things" in my brain. Ha!

I should have said "refined sugar" instead of just "sugar". It is the refining process that changes a natural product created by our Creator into an unnatural man-made product that is health-destroying.

Yes, it sounds good to just blame all of my quirks on my mom. Mom, it's all YOUR fault (Meg said it first!)