CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Distractions.

What is it about becoming a mom and then suddenly having issues with distractions? I've been pondering this today and have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of distractions...the good distractions (that should be classified as "opportunities") and the bad distractions (meant to keep us from doing what we really should be doing...these could be keeping us from God-given opportunities).

I've been slowly reading through the Autobiography of George Muller. I haven't found it as gripping as the biographies written by others (it's basically journal entries by George Muller) which may be because I like hearing how amazing certain people of God are and what they did. This book isn't so much about what George did through the Lord but what the Lord did in his life. Anyway, I have found myself rather convicted after reading certain entries. Last night I was convicted by this quote...



"The primary business I must attend to everyday is to fellowship with the Lord. The first concern is not how much I might serve the Lord , but how my inner man might be nourished. I may share the truth with the unconverted; I may try to encourage believers; I may relieve the distressed; or I may, in other ways, seek to behave as a child of God; yet, not being happy in the Lord and not being nourished and strengthened in my inner man day by day, may result in this work being done in a wrong spirit."





I would much prefer to "do" things for the Lord on my own rather than put my relationship with Him as a priority. So I decided last night that time with Him, meditating on the Scriptures and praying would come before blogging, packing, painting, etc, etc.

So, this morning I grabbed my Bible first thing...and then made a cup of coffee. After all, what good is it to read if you won't be able to comprehend much? I don't feel bad about this...I was even a good little girl and read some Psalms while I drank my coffee filled with an addictive drug that goes by the name of caffeine (ok, better not start going down this path...)

After a few Psalms I need to use the restroom. I don't feel bad about this either since this is just what happens sometimes (maybe there should be a third category of distractions named "necessary"...those distractions that aren't really good or bad, just necessary). However, while washing my hands in the sink I happen to look up and take a glance in the mirror. Ah, how nice and clean the mirror is since I took the time to wipe off the 3 coats of dust yesterday. How clearly I see my reflection. Wait, is that? Yes, it is....ugh, another long, white stray hair sticking straight out from my chin. I tried to complain about this on one of our ladies nights one time lamenting how I now have to do a chin-check every 3-4 days. Ugh! But then my friend who goes by the name of G*** told me I have no right to complain 'til I have to do a chin-check several times a day (I'm assuming that my friend G*** wouldn't want everybody to know she said this since we can only assume she does have to do a chin-check several times a day). Poor G***, I am glad she said this though as it does make me feel better. Every time I am feeling sorry for myself while performing a chin-check I will think of her and remember that she has probably had to perform 15 chin-checks in-between my 2 chin-checks. Thanks again, G***.

What was I saying about distractions? Oh yeah, I have a really strong tendency to let myself be distracted by the bad distractions and annoyed at the good distractions...the ones that could be great "opportunities". Like if I'm cleaning my floors and a friend calls who needs to be encouraged I would much prefer to finish the floors and get to a nice stopping place before talking. However this is a good distraction...an opportunity to be a good friend (I guess Lea would call this friendin'). And please don't hesitate to call me if you do need to talk to a friend...or feel the need to ask me if I'm cleaning my floor before you share your heart.

I'm watching Karis play on the floor as I write this. Does anybody ever wonder what a semi-deprived-of-toys-child does in her spare time?


Well if so, then now you know...the semi-deprived-of-toys-child builds houses and towers with her books (the one cluttery item her mom doesn't mind supplying her with). This has been Karis' main entertainment this week (I'm just so glad it switched from last weeks activities that involved marbles....marbles, marbles...everywhere I go I find marbles...maybe I helped her just a bit to switch activities by disposing of marbles as I found them.)

I must interupt this post with a good distraction...brb...

That was a distraction that I implemented into my day on purpose (started today). It is an idea I got from Nancy Cambel at one of the women's retreats that I attended a few years ago and now I'm wondering why I waited 'til today to implement this...it is already transforming the atmosphere in our home! What we do is set the kitchen timer for 45 minutes (Nancy said 30 but I prefer 45 since I can get one coat of paint slapped on Karis' bed during that time). Once the timer goes off we have to stop whatever it is we're doing, find each other and spend 1-2 minutes thanking the Lord, praising Him or praying for somebody. So far the timer has only gone off 3 times today but Karis comes running all excited! What a great way to keep mindful of the Lord throughout the day. So far Karis has wanted to pray for Albert each time, a native missionary from India that we support. We support him through Gospel For Asia, a mission founded by K.P. Yohannan. Let me tell you (as a sidenote...perhaps a distraction but a good distraction, I think), if you're ever feeling complacent in your walk with the Lord or you realize that your life has become too comfortable, too....American...you need to pick up and read asap a K.P. Yohannan book. It will change your life! I'd recomend "Road to Reality". This book changed me so much that I purchased a ton of these and sent them to almost every believer on our mailing list. You won't be the same, I guarantee you!

A necessary distraction has come along...we need to run to our future new home and speak with the owners to work out a few more details. I'm sure I had more thoughts about the whole distraction thing but I've dun run out of time (and this post is long enough!)...thanks to distractions...


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can just picture Karis running when the timer goes off. I remember Nancy sharing this idea -- only I thought she set it for 15 minutes! Regardless, we often do get so busy that we forget to stop and spend time rejoicing, praising, and praying. We should do this too!

MamaHen Em said...

Oh distractions. I am soooo easily distracted that I have to make lists for myself so that I know what I need to get done and to stay on task.

kimbosha said...

(this is Kimmy & Tay) We enjoyed reading your blog together. Very true, you put that very well. (convicted me a little) I (Tay) LOVE your pictures. I'm so thankful you added the picture of the George Muller book, had you not I would not have really grasped what you were saying. (ha ha , j/k) But seriously, I need to read these every day. It makes me feel a little less far away. We love the pics of Karis, she's so cute and innovative. Miss you. We're off to read more of your blogs!

Mrs. Pittman said...

I am so stealing that Muller quote for my blog one day. I love it! It'd be a good one to put over your bathroom mirror :)

This post is ADD! I had to LOL at how many times you got distracted from your subject of Distractions.

If you're getting distracted so easily now, just wait till you're in menopause.

I'm reading the Road to Reality right now (thanks to your Mom) and am waiting for my life to be changed (I just started reading it today...)

Meg in Tally said...

Love the Nancy Campbell idea about...that pix of Karis was so cute... oops! got distracted... I like the idea of everybody running to me for hugs and prayers.

I agree with the Princess, this post was really ADD but I enjoyed it. Nothing like keeping it real!

BTW, of course I'll still be commenting --I just might be a day or two late and have to catch up several on one day. Hopefully, once I get into a bit of a routine, I'll be able to keep up.

I'm awarding you 20 points for the challenge of having ADD, deducting 5 points for reminding me how convicting the KP Yohannon book was and that I didn't finish it, and giving you another 22.5 for commenting on my blog!