CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sweat babies and sweet babies.

After three days of being on the road we arrived at the armpit of Brazil! Just kidding, it's a nice little town, actually. Just a little hotter than what we're accustomed to. I was a bit worried about adjusting to the temperatures but so far it's been just fine! I may sweat off a pound or two but that would be marvelous.

I need to backtrack to last week to show a few pictures. During the school's field day they held a race for preschoolers. I stood with Karis at the starting line and explained about 21 times what she needed to do...run as fast as she could to papai as soon as the man said "go"! I think she understood just fine the first time and as she began running and seeing all of the people smiling and clapping (I'm sure she thought JUST for her) she soaked up the attention. She loved it. And we loved it. And then we were both so very frustrated that neither of us had thought to bring our camera. And then a few days ago we received some pictures from Grammy-Tammy (I like the sound of that) that she took of Karis during the race. Wow, we are so happy she did!

Check out our future athlete in her first race ever....


All of the kids who ran got a first-place ribbon. Karis has no idea what a ribbon is or why they gave her one but we made a big deal about it so she is quite proud of it herself.


Ok, back to our travels. The first day of traveling we woke up at 4am to leave by 5am. We wanted to drive for about 7 hours so that we could stop for lunch at a water-park on the way. It isn't the most fabulous water-park in the world but since it cost less than $5 for all three of us to get in, we have no right to complain. And we won't. Karis had a blast and got out lots of energy as she went up and down two kiddy slides for 2 hours. It was great.

The one picture we took just before we left. I needed a new facebook picture so I asked Jonathan to take this one (well, about 10 of them but this one was the best.)


Some of the scenery on our trip. Besides sunflowers we saw acres and acres of cotton, sugar cane and corn. We only took pictures of the sunflowers. You're welcome.


If you're planning on traveling in Brazil you need to get used to traveling amongst many trucks. And if you're married to a man who loves buses and trucks you must get used to seeing your life flash before your eyes as he tries to drive and take pictures of them at the same time. And if you're still alive to tell about it then...well....kudos to you.


A big "bwazeel fwag"

One of my all time favorite things to experirence when traveling here is going through a "boiada" (a cattle drive.) We went through the biggest herd of cows ever on the way here! It was really cool...it almost felt like it would take an hour to get through all of the cows. But I loved it. I love looking at cow's faces. They have such cute faces.

Here is a picture of one of the cowboys at the front of the cattle drive. They always have one that goes a ways ahead of the others to warn oncoming traffic. Then they have several direclty in front of the herd and a few in the middle to get the cows to move for the cars and then a few in the back to keep some from straying.


I took a short video to try and share what it's like driving through cows.



This is what Karis was doing during the boiada.


Since my batteries in my camera died and I want to make sure I have plenty of bloggy material for this week I'm going to show just a few pictures from yesterday....

The two cousins playing in the water. Trying to stay cool and wearing themselves out in order to take a good nap for their mommies!



My 2nd newest nephew (by a day!), Daniel. It's fun to be around a newborn again. Makes me wish I could spend some time with my newest (by a day!) nephew, Rowen.



7 comments:

Rachie Pachie said...

LOVE the pictures! She is such a cutie! And the pictures of Karis & her cousin in the tubs w/ spatulas is awesome!

Glad you made it through the bus & truck scary stuff! I'd be a nervous wreck if I was in that environment... I'd need a tranq to knock me out like Karis was during the boiada (hmm, I probably butchered that spelling!). LOL

When you're stateside... what part of the states will you end up? I tell ya, Kelley, this couponing stuff is better right now that scoring a sweet yard sale find! Although, I am pretty proud of my $0.08 clothes for the baby, nieces, & church friends! :)

Glad you had a good time @ the water park & for only $5 to get in!? That's awesome!

Laura said...

Those sunflowers are so beautiful! Love the cattle drive. I think that would be a fun experience.

MamaHen Em said...

The sunflowers are amazing! I think I would like to travel through a herd of cows and amongst all of those trucks. What amazing experiences you are having! Karis looks so cute running on the track! What a fun day it must have been!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

So I'm back in blog-world again - by force but loving it! Great post

Christopher Ryan said...

Oh my goodness! How cute is Karis running in her first little race?! Sidonie and I love it! Driving through cattle seems like quite an experience! Glad to hear that you guys arrived. Tell Jonathan and Karis hello for us!

allhisblessings said...

I just think that picture of Karis running the race is so adorable! I love the pure joy! And the sunflowers, wow!

Unknown said...

Two of the pix don't show up! Do you know how to play "Hey Cow"? If not, ask Kimmy. You should play "Hey Cow" during the Boiada. Such cute pix ... thanks for posting so many!