CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Friday Night Terror

Friday night I was home alone with the three kiddos. Benjo and Karis were already down for the night so I was sitting in the rocker holding Dan-the-man and rocking. I heard a funny noise but thought it was Cristy coming home as the dog began barking rather loudly. Then I looked at the clock and realized it was too early for her to be home but that she should arrive in about 10 minutes or so. Then I heard the noise again. And again. Realizing that it was coming from the back yard and thinking it was an animal (possum on the roof?) I ran to the kitchen and peeked out the door. Oh. My. Goodness. No, it is too big to be an animal and it is in the backyard, whatever it is. I quickly locked up the house and turned off the lights in order to see better. I realized that something was landing on the dog-house that was out of view behind the shed. Was somebody jumping the wall and landing on the dog-house? Are they about to try and rob us? Then I saw a head pop up over the wall. It was a guy with a baseball cap. Ok, this is serious. I have no way to get in touch with Cristy. The dog was on the chain (barking up a storm) and any minute she'd come home. What if there was a whole group of robbers hiding out around back when she drove up? I quickly called Jonathan's cell phone praying he'd answer. He did. "Some guys have jumped the back wall and are hiding out behind the shed. Cristy is gone and I'm afraid she's going to drive up any minute. Have Erik call her and tell her not to come home alone!" He gave me a few pointers (yell at the guys to let them know someone is home. Afterall, they probably think the house is empty since the truck is gone). Just as we hung up Cristy pulled up. Before she had time to get out of the truck and close the gate I yelled through the window "Cristy, get in here now! Leave the truck and come inside." Poor girl. I think that scared her a bit. When she came inside I explained what had happened. We called Jonathan back and he said a man from church was coming over. At that point there had been no more noise and none of the guys had come into sight so I was pretty sure they were gone. Actually, because there are some banana trees back there I had even convinced myself it was a group of teenagers stealing bananas when they thought nobody was home (they sure didn't try to be quiet about it!) After we hung up with Jonathan the man from church drive up. Soon to follow were the police. I stayed in the living room while Cristy went out explaining to them what happened. The police had their guns drawn, asking who it was they saw in the house (me). They were very serious about their job, which was very comforting. By now there was quite a crowd lingering around wondering what was going on. The neighbor walked over to Cristy and the police (who he knew personally) and asked what happened. Cristy explained and he said "oh, that was me. I was unloading a bunch of stuff behind the wall. She probably saw my head and heard the noise as I dropped stuff." Yes, that's the end of the story folks. I didn't sleep so well that night but it wasn't out of fear. It was out of embarrassment. How can one person have so many embarrassing moments in one lifetime? I have probably had enough in my lifetime to cover all of you who are reading this (you're welcome.) I'm just glad I get to leave in a week. Poor Cristy has to stay. I did give her permission to blame it all on me once I leave....the "silly sister-in-law."

Ok, let's move onto something more positive. How about pictures of some cute kiddos....


On a good day they get along 90% of the time. On a bad day, 10%. Unfortunately this fluctuation that takes place day-to-day is a result of my daughter's behavior.


Silly girl.


The cousins. Daniel looks comfortable.


Karis was SO proud to beholding a REAL baby, for the first time!


Ducky and Froggie towels. I love this picture :-)




5 comments:

MamaHen Em said...

I wouldn't be embarassed! I would have been terrified, too! My hubs got REALLY scared and almost called the police one night after hear deer in the rocks outside our house. He seriously thought there was someone trying to get in. I'm SOOO glad it all turned out okay. Better to be a bit embarassed and okay!

Michawn said...

i agree with mamahen. better safe (and embarassed) than sorry. and i wouldn't be embarassed at all. i'm sure the neighbor and everyone understands...surely. but, i have to say...hilarious. so something that could happen to me. loved it.

i also love, in the pic of all the cousins sitting together, how the brothers are holding hands. too sweet!

glad you are having fun. when you get back (when will that be?), you and kim will have to come over...she'll be back too, right?

fun-ness.

Mrs. Pittman said...

OK, you had me going. I was ready for some monster to show up.
Boring ending...but I guess that's a good thing.

Are you on your way to the good ol' US of A?

Stacey Lee said...

Yeah, I would have done the same thing for sure. That is really funny though - glad you shared it with us. All of the pics are so cute. Kimmy and I are wondering how much Cristy's baby weighs...he looks HUGE : ) Very cute. I love the pics of Karis and Benjo in the towels.

Pat Weso said...

Compared to Rowen that baby does look huge! I'm very glad, as well, that your story had a boring ending. Whew. I love that you share so many pictures. Keep them coming!