CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Just another Tuesday...

I learned a lesson today that I thought I learned over a week ago! And that is...even though we use and wash the same cups everyday it is still wise to check cups while pulling them out of the cabinet before pouring juice or water into them. For the second time today I poured juice into a cup only to see a dead beetle rise to the top! Ugh. And in case you are wondering, I did not throw the juice out...just the beetle. Guess after living here a few years I'm getting past some of the fear of bug cooties. Somehow, I'm not sure why, I feel a little prideful of that fact. Is drinking juice that carried a dead beetle in it something to be proud of? I would think not but I still feel sorta proud about it...like I've accomplished something. Oh well, I'm probably just quirky which seems to be a prerequisite to being a missionary (ok, just kidding...I am surrounded by very non-quirky missionary friends:-)

We've had a few Karis funnies the past few days. Yesterday she had drawn lots of squiggles onto a piece of paper with her markers. This is how our conversation went...

Karis: "Look mommy, I drew a hippopotamus!" (pointing to the orange squiggle)
Me: "Oh wow. So what is that?" (pointing to the blue squiggle)
Karis: "A bird"
Me: "and what is that?" (pointing to another squiggle)
Karis: "an airplane"
Me: "and that?" (yet another squiggle)
Karis: "another airplane"

This went on for a while as she told me the remainder of her squiggles were airplanes. But then I got back to the orange squiggle...

Me: "and what is that?" (pointing to the original orange squiggle)
Karis: "an airplane"
Me: "But I thought you said it was a hippopotamus. Where is the hippopotamus?"
Karis: "I dunno. Maybe at the zoo."

Then this morning we had a tea party together (which mostly is sitting down to a little stool with two tiny tea-cups full of milk and a few crackers). I usually change my voice to have an English accent and ask her how her day has been, etc. I always refer to her as "daaaaaaahling" and she has picked up on that and done the same to me. But this morning when I called her "daaaaaaahling" she looked at me and said "I'm not daaaaaaaaahling. I'm Karis!".

She said something else funny this morning that Jonathan and I both laughed at together yet neither of us can remember what she said! Good thing I decided to post now and not this afternoon or I probably would have forgotten about the other two by then...

A few pictures of my genius child to end today's post. Can you tell what those noodles are in the shape of?


Whenever I would write Karis' name down on paper I would say out loud to her "K-A-R-I-S" (not sure why) but she learned to say the letters of her name very quickly. It surprised me so lately I've been trying to help her identify those 5 letters (just to see). I didn't think she had caught on 'til this one day at lunch when she said "look mommy. K-A!".

It really is amazing what little kiddos can pick up on!


5 comments:

MamaHen Em said...

Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little! OK, better. Bugs? In my juice? I don't know if I could do it. I don't know what that says about me, but you should be proud of YOU!!

Karis was cracking me up with her comments about her drawings!

Meg in Tally said...

So funny about the bugs. I would surely just throw out the bug...as long as the juice was for somebody else! You know, what they don't know won't hurt them!!! But, me? I couldn't drink it. YUCK!

I knew Karis would be a genius...its because her mom was homeschooled, don't ya know!

Kelley said...

Yeah, I guess it is pretty disgusting to think about a dead beetle in your juice. If it hadn't been precious carrot juice I probably would have just tossed it! Kudos to me for being frugal:-)

Jennifer said...

Letters out of her noodles. How sweet! I would be thrilled if my daughter started doing that as well.

Laura said...

I would have thrown out the juice, too. Sometimes it takes more than once to learn a lesson.