CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tis the season to be jolly.

Christmas has passed, yes, I know. But really, who says we can't be jolly in January? I'm all for being a jolly wife, having a jolly home, etc. I love being around jolly people! Don't you? Anywho, (that's for you, Meg!) even if you don't feel all so jolly then perhaps after seeing lots of pictures from our jolly Christmas you may go away feeling like you want to come join us for Christmas next year!

A bit of a rabbit trail. I think I can finally appreciate Christmas season south of the equator. The first three Christmases we spent in Brasil I felt like we just skipped Christmas 3 years in a row. I mean, how could it really be Christmas when it wouldn't drop below 95 degrees? When you look out the window and see nothing but green? When you go to make the traditional tea ring Christmas morning to find 7 frogs by your kitchen sink? There were a few Christmas decorations in town at the mall but aside from that it looked and felt like summer. Our first Christmas back in the States since moving to Brasil ('07) was glorious. It was cold! I got to go to bed in warm pj's, wake up to feel carpet underneath my feet (before I put my slippers on...oh, what an amazing thing to wear slippers!) go turn on the gas fire and drink egg nog and hot chocolate all morning. What better way to celebrate our Savior's birth? Ok, so all those things have nothing to do with the meaning of Christmas but when you grow up having cold, carpety, hot chocoloatey Christmases it just becomes a part of you. That's just how it is, folks.

So back to our Christmas this year. Karis and I returned the 23rd from the States...Oh, and in case I haven't already mentioned it she (on this return trip) more than made up for the horrific trip from Brasil to the States. She was truly amazing! Thank you, my child. Many blessings on that precious, not-so-little head of yours.

Besides having a hubby (and a dad) to come home to (who we really missed even though there is no convincing him that we did think about him inbetween trips to the Good Cents store!) we were blessed to have J's sister Cristy, her hubby Erik (aka Evo) and their baby boy Benjamin awaiting us at our house. We hadn't seen them since June so it was fun to catch up and see how much Benjo had grown. He's a cutie-patootie...see for yourself...

It was a blast watching the two of them play together! They really did enjoy eachother 92% of the time...

I love, absolutely LOVE having Cristy around to cook with! We are both lovers of food and some of the most non-picky eaters in the world so when we're together there's quite a bit of activity going on in the kitchen. And it's so nice to have another woman to help...it's like I'd turn around to do something (like dishes) and half the time it had already been done or Cristy was doing it. She's a fabulous sister in law! I think Jonathan appreciates it when she's around too since he gets cooked for a lot more often:-)

Our Christmas morning tea ring.



And now enjoying the tea ring.



Now that the kiddos are older they seem to enjoy opening presents and actually become semi excited about the present itself instead of enjoying just the paper!




And yes, those awesome pink sun glasses were a 10 cent treasure from GC, just in case you're wondering! (Note: If you don't know what GC stands for then I guess you've skipped over quite a bit from my last 4 posts. Shame on you. Go back, read it all and leave a comment. Thank you.)

Karis' dad (aka my husband) made her an awesome doll house for Christmas! It is so nice. We haven't had time to fix it up (with paint, carpet, etc) but I am so proud of it. Karis loves it and all her little girly friends enjoy it when they come over! (and yes, all the great furniture was supplied by GC as well, just in case you were wondering.)


I was hoping to post some pictures and videos from this past week but it appears I've overwritten my self-inflicted quota for bloggy posts. It is also 20 'til 10pm so perhaps I should put the munchkin to bed...

Nighty night, good people.

4 comments:

Mamajil said...

Kelley great post!!! I have never made a tea ring....yours looked scrumptious!! I was thinking about your title "tis the season to be jolly" and it made me think that as believers it should always be the season to be jolly since the joy of the Lord is our strength...any who, that was the thought that popped in my head as I read the intro. to your blog.

oh and to answer your question on nationality....My dad is from Cuba and My mom is from Spain...so we are Spanish (my dad taught one of your brothers Spanish at TCC)
Any way so you can see where "MA and Pa" is a hilarious title for them...Have a blessed day!

MamaHen Em said...

What a great Christmas, and I have to agree with mamajil - we should be jolly all year. A great reminder for me today.

I LOVE the dollhouse. My dad made one for each of my little sisters one year for their birhtday's, taking old wallpaper to the walls, old tile and carpet for the floors. My mom made tiny curtains. Dad even cut out individual wooden shingles. Dollhouses are sooo fun. I was a tiny bit sad that I was too old for him to make me one!

Kahlua Keeping Koala said...

wow. what a fun time you've been having. thanks for sharing

Meg in Tally said...

My goodness, I didn't realize I had missed so much in BloggyWorld. You're mom has me addicted to FB (Yes, its all her fault!) but I MUST make it a point to spend more time checking out my favorite blogs and the cutest kid!

That tea-ring looks very professional...how do you make it look so pretty?