CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bedroom Renovations

Before Jonathan left I already had tons of ideas of projects around the house I wanted to work on while he was away to surprise him when he returned. I literally could not wait for him to leave so that I could begin...now after completing just a few of those projects I would like for him to come home now. I'm so anxious to show him! For now I'll find some satisfaction in showing you, my bloggy audience.

Jonathan always tells me that I build things up way too much. I frequently say things like "that was the BEST food I ever tasted!" or "that was the most fun night ever!", etc, etc. He is a very reserved person and not one to show much emotion. If I were to get a "oh wow, that's nice hon" out of him that means he is VERY, VERY thrilled. I'm shooting for a "wow. Oh wow. How very nice, hon" when he returns and sees the changes in our home.

I say that so that you won't feel too shocked when I tell you that our bedroom has been transformed! Absolutely and totally transformed (no exaggeration.) Of course it will not make it onto any home interior design blogs and perhaps once you see pictures it may trigger feelings of disappointment from those of you who are especially gifted in interior design. BUT...if there were a blog titled "horrendous, absolutely awful bedrooms turned decent" mine would for sure qualify for some attention! The problem is that I didn't take any before pictures. Perhaps that has something to do with a bit impatience on my part.

Since I didn't take before pictures I'll start with Karis' bedroom that I just painted a few days ago. Take a look at these walls before the paint job...

I decided to go with a boring color for her room since she has so much color in her bedding and the curtains. I felt like it would be too busy if I were to paint it yellow or pink. So even though the color was only a tad different from the previous color it is absolutely amazing how much better it feels to walk past her room and look inside. It is the BEST transformation ever :-) Check it out...

I have also discovered that it is a good thing to keep beds away from walls, when it comes to children. Yucky, yucky marks are left on the wall which bring much frustration into my life. She is taking her first nap on her bed that is not scooted up against the wall. So far so good...


Back to my room. The absolutely transformed and BEST bedroom ever. Scroll back up and take a look of the yucky walls in the before pictures of Karis' room. Now picture walls just as horrendous but throw in a computer desk covered in stuff, a file cabinet and piles and piles of folded winter clothes everywhere that hadn't found a home yet. Even then you probably still couldn't fathom how un-bedroom-like our bedroom was before this incredible transformation (no exaggeration) took place.

Ok, here goes...take a look at the horrendous bedroom turned decent....

I can't tell you how many "oooohs" and "aaahs" I would for sure be getting if I had taken some before pictures! Oh well, what's done is done. I'll have to show you all of the small things I did to spruce things up a bit...

Okay wait, before I show more pictures. Do you see that fancy black room divider thingy? Can you guess who made that? Yours truly. I found a big piece of plywood in the shed and hauled it down to a woodworker in town. I paid him $5 to cut it up into three pieces and then painted it black. I even went to the hardware store and bought henges, then scoured Jonathan's tool shed for screws the appropriate size. Do you sense a hint of pride as I tell you this? I am the most unhandy woman in the world, I think. Having such a handy man as a husband makes me very lazy in that area. So the fact that I accomplished as much is really quite amazing! And even though the divider isn't the prettiest thing in the world it sure beats the computer desk hiding behind it.

Next. Not only did I make a room divider without any (ok, not much) help but I hung up curtains. That may sound like a rediculous thing to brag about but when the walls are cement hanging up curtain rods involved drilling into that cement! Yes, I thought you'd be proud.

And one thing that I think really adds to the feel of the room is the lamps. Lamps are not cheap here but I managed to find some very atrocious looking ones at a misc store down the road. Bright orange lamp shades and gold bases! Thankfully if a lamp is atrocious looking they won't charge you an arm and a leg for it (they were around $9 each.) I brought them home, painted the bases black and put on shades that I had brought down from my new favorite store Ikea. Oh how I love Ikea.


While I'm at it let me just brag a bit more on how cheap it was to make this transformation. Besides the cost of paint I think I spent around $25 total for everything as I already had most of it. The bedding set I brought down from the States in December and that was a goodwill special ($12). The trunk sitting in front of the bed was almost tossed because it is rather old and yucky but after a fresh coat of black paint it was transformed. Transformed, I tell you! The curtains were another goodwill special ($5.50) that were brought down in December. Hmmm...what else? Oh, I did buy that vase, rocks and fake orchid above the bed (is it a P.O.O.P.I.E? Please feel free to be honest, I'm trying to decide myself.) The two pictures are decopauged canvasses that I thought were orchids when I bought the fake orchid. Oops...they are the same color. I would like to do a bigger canvas with the same flowers on the right side wall but need to find more napkins. Yes, every room in my house, I'm afraid, will have napkins glued to something.

I need your help now. Here is a picture of the other side of the room. I need some ideas!

I think I'll find a place to put the file cabinet. But what about the desk? I could get rid of it but it is handy and we don't really have another place to put it. Then that would leave the dresser all by itself (which looks much better in this picture than it does in real life!) What can I do with this side of the room? More room dividers? :-) I really do want some suggestions from you decorating pros! Suggestions that require little to no money to implement, that is.

Moving onto other things...


Look how big my birdy friends are getting!

They're growing up so fast (sniff sniff). I don't know how but they do manage to stay in the nest! And now when I peak out the window or walk in front to see them they see me and try to hide by hunching down in the nest (sorry birdies, there's no hiding in that puny nest!)

We'll finish things off with some girly-girl pictures...


Besides a house I also acquired another huge blessing when we moved here! Her name is Karis Joy. Yeah, now I have two Karis Joy's in my life! She's the mommy of those other two little girls. Now that Karis Joy #2 is a part of my life I don't know how I lived without her! She is such a blessing. Even though our personalities are quite different in some ways we see eye-to-eye on almost everything. And since her husband is on this trip with Jonathan we've been spending TONS of time together since our men left. Karis (my Karis) gets along pretty well with her little girls too. Well, they do act like sisters I guess...fighting off and on everytime they get together. ha!

I'm heading off to eat some popcorn before I begin another project. Please send in any decorating suggestions you may have!!


9 comments:

Mamajil said...

Oooooo's and ahhhhh's from me!!! Looks like you have been busy I love your pics and your decorating!!

Jenni said...

Now I'm depressed. My house looks wretched. Very nice work on yours, though.

Unknown said...

Now I'm depressed too. You have gone and depressed all of us. JUST JOKING. It looks great! I like the shelf with the vase and pictures. What is POOPIE? I can't believe you built that divider. Amazing. And the bedding you found at Goodwill here (right at the very end of your trip) looks great! AND I notice you still have that bunny pillow YOU made years ago! Too cute!

Mrs. Pittman said...

I can feel your pride (the good kind) all the way up here! It looks great!!! And I agree with your Mom, I think you should get some kind of award for that room divider. And for the nails in the cement. YOU are a better woman that I, Kelley.

I just helped my own daughter with furniture placement via email and pics, so I'm up for the international version of the challenge :)

What is behind the room divider?
If you don't use the file drawer that much, could you make a cloth cover for it? Or get another one and put a door across it and make a long desk for husband/wife/school/art, etc.?

I couldn't spot the POOPIE, so it must be OK!

And lastly, is there another wall in Karis' room that you could jut her bed out from - away from the curtains? It would make the bed and the curtains stand out more -plus you could give her some kind of picture or big monogrammed letter K over her bed (or a Wall Words!!!)

Now I'm getting excited :)
I may just go move some furniture around myself!

Kelley said...

Wow, thanks for all of the nice comments!

Debbie - (I'm not sure if you hit the "follow up" comment box or not but I'll answer here so as not to clog up your comment space...it is always SO full:-) Unfortunately I can't put Karis' bed on the other side of the room because there is a wall-to-wall armoire thingy (because they don't build closets into rooms in this country!). Any other ideas? I didn't care for the fact that the head of her bed was where the window was but the only other alternative that I could see would be to push her bed up against the wall. Should I do that and just plan on repainting over the foot marks every few months?

Stacey Lee said...

It looks really, really good Kel. Seriously. I am impressed with everything that you shared. (as everyone else seems to be too!) I really liked the bedding when I saw it in FL, but even more so now with the paint color and beautiful curtains. I love re-decorating rooms. I was going to wait until I was done with work (2 1/2 more weeks) to start Rowens room but now you made me want to start sooner : ) You're right, I do need to write another post. Things have been very hectic here and I have little leftover energy at night to think hard enough to put my thoughts into a post that makes sense and isn't too boring : ) Soon though!

Laura said...

Great job! Isn't it such a great sense of accomplishment to get something done that looks and feels so nice!? Kuddos on the screen. I want to do something similar for my fireplace, but with a pretty painting on it. For that part I will need a friend unless you will be in the states again soon to do some decoupage.

I totally understand your pride in being handy. I drilled my own holes to mount a couple of things in my room, too. That reminds me, I need to put up a new curtain rod in my dining area...

Meg in Tally said...

Beautiful work, Kell! Love the colors, the bedding, the lamps, the divider. Surely you have met the "wow" factor!

I'm not a decorator, so I'm not much help there...but I love oohing and ahhing!

Remember, you can NEVER lose posting those Karis pictures!!!!

Christopher Ryan said...

Yay! Woohoo! I love to color of the walls, and the orchids are a great contrast! I'm sure you'll get a "wow, that looks nice, hun," out of it!